Lorne Guesthouses

At the beginning, sawmill workers who lived rough, often in tents, came into town for their night off on Saturdays. They wanted a good meal and somewhere to stay overnight. The families in town, the Stewarts, Clissolds, etc, had many children as well as taking these workers in, and so began to add more bedrooms. Some built bungalows in their grounds. The owners were often good cooks, so some places became famous for their meals like Kalimna. It had up to 60 guests and staff. Most guesthouses had a passage up the middle with bedrooms off it and bathrooms and toilets shared at the back. No one minded this arrangement. They played croquet and tennis, had dress-up parties, and took long walks to fern gullies and falls. Barbecues and billie tea were highlights. Many romances and marriages developed in these places. “making whoopee” it was called. There were many competitions between the guesthouses. This lasted until the 1960s and then came the  rise of the self-contained motels.
( from a talk given at Lorne Historical Society meeting by Doug Stirling, October 2023.)

Robert Coy painting, depicting 22 guesthouses

Lorne had three hotels and many guesthouses in its heyday. The hotels were The Lorne, The Quamby, a private hotel, and The Pacific. The guesthouses were Argyll House, Ben My Chree, Bonnie Doon, Carinya, The Chalet, Clovelly, Cora Lynn, The Cumberland, Erskine House, Gracedale, Kalimna, Kia-Ora, Glendora, Minapree, Nenthorne, Ozone House, Riverview, Santoy, Yendalloch, Rivernook and Erskine Cottage, one of the earliest, and later changed its name to Bridge Cottage.

(Source: Lorne a Living History by Doug Stirling)

Argyll House

Argyll House was located where the Lorne Squash Courts were located, then Qdos, then Phoenix Appartments, at 60 Mountjoy Parade Lorne. In 1943, British citizens were evacuated from Malaya during World War II, billeted at Argyll House, and the children attended Lorne School. Argyll Guesthouse 1943, adults left-right , Wilshaw, Akhurst, Miss Lamont proprietress with...
Read more

Carinya

c1919, View of Post Office, Caryina in the background 1938 Carinya Dining Room Carinya tennis courts and dance hall Carinya 1950’s Caryina was located on Smith street, opposite the Cumberland Resort tennis courts.  Frank Beaurepaire was its proprietor. Carinya guesthouse was a stylish up market resort by the standards of the day. Advertisement for Caryina...
Read more

Cumberland

UNDER CONSTRUCTION See images 6 April

Erskine House

The Mountjoy family built the first real dwelling in Lorne consisting of just two rooms. As interest in Lorne grew, the Mountjoys extended their premises to cater for visitors whose numbers continued to increase as the word spread about the beautiful scenery and abundance of fish and game. They called their first building The Temperance...
Read more

Gracedale

Gracedale Guesthouse was situated on Marine Parade, now Mountjoy Parade, where Lorne Community House and Lorne Community Connect, formerly Lorne Senior Citizens is located.

Nenthorne

Nenthorne was locate opposite Carinya guesthouse on Smith Street.