Lorne, Victoria, Australia

Our Lady of Fatima Catholic Church

In the year 1916 Lorne is first mentioned in the Archives of the Ballarat Diocese and from then on until 1956 it is listed as a Station.

Mass was celebrated on Sunday Morning in the old Library Hall by Priests from Birregurra, Beech Forest and Colac, these included:-

  • Father Timothy McCarthy Birregurra 1916-1918
  • Father John Walsh Birregurra 1919-1926
  • Father Martin Gleeson Beech Forest 1926-1928
  • Dean Denis Howell Colac 1944
  • Father Louis Conway Colac 1945
  • Father Thomas D’Arcy Birregurra 1946-1948
  • Father Michael Shanley Birregurra 1949-1960
  • Father Gerald Payne Birregurra 1961-1964
  • Father John Kirby Birregurra 1965
  • Father Bernie Keogh Birregurra 1966-1972
  • Father Nikodems Serzants Birregurra 1973-1974
  • Father Paul Mercovich Birregurra 1975-1976
  • Father Charles Fiscalini Birregurra 1977
  • Father Peter Brennan Birregurra 1978
  • Father Robert Claffey Apollo Bay 1979-1980
  • Father Max Slater Apollo Bay 1981-1986
  • Father Peter Taffe Apollo Bay 1987-

When Father M Shanley took charge of the Birregurra Parish in 1949 he set the wheels in motion for the building of a Church in Lorne.

In 1956 the Church dedicated to Our Lady of Fatima was opened by the Right Reverend Bishop O’Collins of Ballarat. The builder was Peter McBride of Colac. The Church is of an unusual design the idea coming from a church Father Shanley saw somewhere in the tropics, the sides of the Church are divided into panels which open to form a roof over the wide balconies, thus, with stackaway chairs doubling the seating capacity during the busy holiday season.

Located at 33-37 Smith Street, the church was opened on 15th January 1956.

Opening of the Catholic Church. (LHS photo 2159)

 

ROSE SERIES P. 13766

After Father Shanley’s death Birregurra and Lorne were administered by :

  • Father Gerald Payne
  • Father John Kirby
  • Father Bernie Kehoe
  • Father Nicholas Serzants
  • Father Paul Mercovich
  • Father Charles Fiscalini
  • Father Peter Brennan
  • Father Robert Claffey
  • Father Max Slater
  • Father Peter Taffe

During Father Serzants administration he caused a flat to be constructed in the Church basement for the use of priests at weekends and for those helping during holiday time. The flat consists of two bedrooms, a kitchen, lounge and bathroom.

In 1976 the Parish of Birregurra was divided, the Birregurra section being absorbed by Cola and Lorne and Aireys Inlet by Apollo Bay. Father R Chaffey was then Parish Priest of Apollo Bay and he was followed by Father Max Slater and Father Peter Taffe from January 1989 to the present day. [Copy of letter from Sister Gregory, of Birregurra, sent to Mrs Roache of Lorne re Catholic Church]

Blessing and Opening of Lorne’s Catholic Church

On Sunday, January 15th 1956 a large gathering of Clergy and people, representing all parts of the State, assembled in Lorne. The occasion was the solemn blessing and opening of the recently completed Church of Our Lady Fatima, Lorne’s first Catholic Church.

The Bishop of Ballarat, the Most Reverend Doctor O’Collins, was received by Reverend Father I Shanley, Parish Priest of Birregurra, whose extensive Parish includes Lorne, and this being the Bishop’s first visit since building commenced, he was given an opportunity to inspect the Church.

He then donned ceremonial robes and proceeded to bless the Church inside and out. After the blessing, the church was opened to the people, and solemn Benediction was given by the Bishop, and sung most impressively by the Holy Name Men’s Choir from Colac.

Father Shanley welcomed the Bishop, clergy and visitors on behalf of the Lorne people. He named and thanked contributors and donors of gifts and mentioned in particular three very zealous women, Mrs Lucas, Mrs Stephens and Mrs Henderson, whose magnificent efforts on behalf of the Church Building Fund were worthy of the highest praise. He thanked the architect, Mr Robertson, whose plan solved a serious problem, and the building contractor, Mr P McBride, of Colac, and his men. He then introduced Father McInerney, who was elected to make an appeal for funds.

As usual, Father McInerney’s eloquence impressed everyone, he outlined the story of the Church from the time when Fr Shanley was appointed to the parish, and the prospects of building were nil – in the days when Lorne “for all its God given qualities, lacked a proper House of God”, and when Mass was celebrated in a hall, was an ordeal for both celebrant and congregation. He paid tribute to Father Shanley and his small but loyal band of workers, who had done more than should be asked of anyone towards providing religious amenities for the “hordes of summer visitors”, and called upon those visitors to do their share in releasing from debt that beautiful Shrine of Our Lady of Fatima.

The next speaker was the Most Rev Doctor O’Collins, who expressed pleasure and satisfaction in what had been achieved by Father Shanley and his people – “great hearts with a good leader”.

He congratulated architect and builder, and expressed the hope that both visitors and business people would show their appreciation of the church in a practical way

As a fitting conclusion to an interesting day, Father Shanley invited everyone to partake of afternoon tea, which was served by that energetic team of Lorne women, ably assisted as always by Mrs Williams, of Birregurra.

Following is a list of gifts, together with the names of the donors:

  • Window of Our Lady of Fatima: Mr and Mrs H Correll, Canterbury.
  • Altar: Mr and Mrs J O’Beirne and family, Horsham.
  • Stations of the Cross: Mrs Tully, Lorne: Mrs Henderson, Lorne: Mr K Quigley, Boylea: Mrs Anthony, Lorne: Mrs W Roache, Colac: (1 each): Mr and Mrs D McGuane, Coragulac: (2): Mr and Mrs Stevens, Lorne: (7).
  • Vases and Altar Charts: Barwon Downs Altar Society.
  • Statues: Cr M McGrath, Swan Marsh: Miss Higgins, Lorne: Mr R Garratt and family, Essendon: Mrs Spillane, Ascot Vale: Mrs Kirkwood, Ivanhoe.
  • Missal and Stand: Doctor W. O’Loughlin, Essendon.
  • Vestments: Mrs Jess and family, Rapunyup: Mr C McKinnan, Geelong: Mr and Mrs Fahey, Melbourne.
  • Holy Water Font: Mrs D Maloney and family, Birregurra.
  • Candlesticks: Mrs J Divine, Deans Marsh.
  • Monstrance: Mr and Mrs D Pekin, Coragulac.

Sources:

  • Lorne Historical Society Collections, Catholic Church History page 1-4