Lorne Victoria Australia

The Library Hall was a gathering place for the Lorne community for close to a hundred years as a centre for social events, Lorne scout group “Kiplings Own”, parties and drama productions.

Summary Timeline:

  • 1885, tenders called for construction of the Lorne Free public Library.
  • 1885, Lorne Ladies committee headed by Mrs Beal manage facility
  • 1890, control and management of the Lorne Institute and Free Library passed to a new committee.
  • 1890, move to connect a museum with the Lorne Institute.
  • 1905, rooms added for library and reading rooms separate to the Hall.
  • 1962, application for a subsidy towards a toilet block at the Library Hall.
  • 1971, repairs to Library Hall lighting system.
  • 1984, demolished.

The Library Hall began as the Lorne Free library in 1885. The Geelong Advertiser recorded that tenders were called for by Peter Matthews, Architect & Surveyor, 52 Collins Street East Melbourne, closing 1/8/1885, for the erection of the Lorne Free Public Library.

By 1889, it was reported that a large Mechanics Institute, Public Library and Hall, which cost about £700, was nearly free of debt. The ladies of Lorne, headed by Mrs Beal were recognised  as the group to have worked hard to establish and manage the Lorne Institute  and Free Library. The book shelves were will filled with first class literature, the vapid, frothy, and demoralising dreadfuls, being conspicuous by their absence.

Miss Amy Gaynor was the town librarian who retired in 1926 after 31 years’ service. It was reported in 1889 in the first edition of the Birregurra & Winchelsea and Lorne Mercury, that the Free Library was a large and commodious structure with nearly a thousand volumes of well selected books, together with a good supply of the current literature of the day.

 

Lorne Red Cross group outside library hall 1915. (LHS photo 1810)

Lorne Free Library became the Library Hall, located close to the corner of William and Smith Street, near the present location of the Police station.

Lorne, after end of World War I in 1918

In 1952, Lorne Kindergarten opened in the Library Hall. Kindergarten teacher Mrs Rita Carmichael and assistant Mrs Les Watson noted in 1954. The Library Hall was reported to be demolished either in 1970 or in 1983, to then become the current site of the S.E.S. in Smith street.

Sources:

  • Lorne A Living History by Doug Stirling
  • Lorne Historical Society’s collections
  • “WOT’S IN A NAME?’ … by John Agar